Students majoring in microbiology at Iowa State University will take core courses recommended by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM). These courses and labs include general microbiology, medical microbiology, microbial genetics, physiology and diversity. Students choose specialized upper level courses in either immunology, virology, parasitology, food microbiology, environmental microbiology or a combination of advanced courses to complete their degree.
Microbiology Program of Study
- 2019-20 Microbiology Course of Study and 4 year plan
- 2019-20 POS and 4 year plan for Micro & Genetics Double Major
- 2018-19 Microbiology Course of Study and 4 year plan
- 2017-18 Microbiology Course of Study and 4 year plan
- 2017-18 POS and 4 year plan for Micro & Genetics Double Major.pdf
- 2016-17 Microbiology Course of Study and 4 year plan.pdf
- 2016-17 POS and 4 year plan for Micro Genetics Double Major.pdf
(Please note that to print most of the tables your printer margins must be set to the minimum allowed, ie. maximum page width.)
Visit Soar in 4 to learn more about the ISU four year graduation guarantee.
There are several electives built into the schedule. There are also approved College of Ag & Life Science (CALS) electives that qualify for the Humanities, Social Science, US Diversity, Ethics and International Perspective requirements.
Approved CALS electives
- Approved Ethics List
- U.S. Diversity Approved List
- International Perspectives Approved List
- Humanities Approved List
- Social Science Approved List