When considering a health field, Microbiology is excellent preparation for further schooling in a variety of health professions. Whether you are interested in human medicine, vet school, dentistry, pharmacy or medical lab science, a degree in Microbiology can help you get there.
Coursework at ISU includes:
- Medical Microbiology
- Required courses in chemistry, physics, biology, and math which meets the science based prerequisites for admission to your professional school as well as preparation for MCAT.
- Optional courses include: Phage Discovery Lab, Insects and Our Health, Medical Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Global Health, Gut Microbiome
Visit the following links to see how the coursework in Microbiology meets the requirements for admission into:
- Medical School requirements at the University of Iowa (PDF)
- Veterinary School requirements at ISU (PDF)
- Medical Lab Science requirements (PDF)
- Pharmacy requirements at Drake (PDF)
- Physician Assistant requirements at DMU (PDF)
- Dental School requirements
Here are just a few links that may help you make decisions for your future plans in a health career.